We’re a friendly team of orthodontic professionals offering result oriented treatments in Vancouver, BC.
Dr. Angelina Loo
Certified Specialist in Orthodontics
Loo graduated from the Faculty of Dentistry at the University of British Columbia in 1985, after which she completed her general practice residency at the Hospital for Sick Children, Hugh MacMillan and Holland Bloorview Kids Rehabilitation Hospitals in Toronto, Ontario.
Dr. Loo graduated with a combined certification in the specialty of orthodontics and Master of Science in Craniofacial Biology from the University of Manitoba in 1989. Following graduation, Dr. Loo returned home to establish her private practice in Vancouver and subsequently received her orthodontic fellowship in the Royal College of Dentists of Canada.
Dr. Loo is an active orthodontist staff member on the BC Children’s Hospital Cleft and Craniofacial Team, an Associate Clinical Professor at the UBC Faculty of Dentistry, and the course coordinator for the UBC graduate orthodontic program in cleft and craniofacial care. She lectures internationally on facial clefting and feels privileged to participate in surgical cleft missions overseas.
Dr. Loo’s passion for treating children with cleft and craniofacial differences inspired her to form the Spring for Kids Foundation in 2009, where she currently serves as the foundation’s President. Dr. Loo’s commitment to the treatment and education of children with cleft and craniofacial differences has been recently recognized with a 2011 Certificate of Merit from the British Columbia Dental Association, and most recently, the 2022 Humanitarian Award from the American Association of Orthodontics.
When not in practice, Angie enjoys her favourite hobbies including soapstone carving and nature photography, and spending time with her family. Their favourite past times include sea kayaking and hiking the great outdoors.
Dr. Loo is privileged to be a fellow of the American College of Dentists, for which the advancement of excellence in professionalism, leadership and contribution to dentistry exemplifies its honorary members. She has served as the President of the British Columbia Society of Orthodontists, and is an active member in good standing of numerous professional organizations including:
- Dental Specialists Society
- American Cleft Palate Association
- Canadian Association of Orthodontists
- British Columbia Society of Orthodontists
- Pacific Coast Society of Orthodontists
- American Association of Orthodontists
- World Federation of Orthodontists
- College of Dental Surgeons of B.C.
- Royal College of Dentists of Canada
- Vancouver & District Dental Society
- Canadian Dental Association
Dr. Edwin Yen
Dr. Edwin HK Yen Email: email@example.com
D.D.S., Dip.Ortho., Ph.D. Professor of Orthodontics and Dean Emeritus, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada
- Dental degree D.D.S., (1973) from McGill University, Montreal, Canada
- Postgraduate orthodontic specialty training Dip.Ortho., (1977) at University of Toronto
- Graduate education Ph.D. (1978) in connective tissue biochemistry with the MRC Group in Periodontal Physiology, University of Toronto
- Royal College of Dental Surgeons of Ontario (1974): General Dentist
- Manitoba Dental Association (1978): Specialist in Orthodontics
- Royal College of Dentists of Canada (2008): Fellow status
- College of Dental Surgeons of British Columbia (1994): Specialist in Orthodontics
- Associate Professor in Orthodontics (1978), University of Manitoba
- Professor in Orthodontics (1986), University of Manitoba
- Department Head, Preventive Dental Science (1988), University of Manitoba
- Director, Graduate Orthodontic Program (1988), University of Manitoba
- Dean and Professor of Orthodontics (1994), University of British Columbia
- Cellular activity and signal transduction in connective tissue cells in response to mechanical stress.
- Past President, Canadian Association of Orthodontists
- Past President, Canadian Association for Dental Research
- Past Chairman, Committee of Deans, Association of Canadian Faculties of Dentistry
- Past President, Association of Canadian Faculties of Dentistry
- Past Treasurer, International Association for Dental Research
- Member, Council of Education, American Association of Orthodontists
- Reviewer for various peer review panels of granting agencies and journals
Dr. Yen has been involved with the development and implementation of a hybrid problem-based learning curriculum for the entire 4-year predoctoral dental program in which the first two years are integrated with the medical school and the last two years feature integrated disciplines and integrated patient care. Dr. Yen’s research interests continue to be in the area of connective tissue response to orthodontic and physiological force systems. Dr. Yen lectures internationally in the area of biology of Orthodontics.
Outside the Office
Dr. Yen and his wife Patti, a former primary school teacher, have one son (high school teacher) and one daughter (orthodontist). His family interests include skiing, golf and music.